We understand that your diamond jewelry is a valuable possession and keeping it clean and shiny is top priority. Getting your diamond jewelry professionally cleaned by jewelers is a good option. However, cleaning it at home for everyday use is also a great way of maintaining its brilliant sparkle. Here are the best ways to take care of your fine jewelry from the comfort of your home.
Cleaning Your Diamond Jewelry
The best way to clean your diamond jewelry at home is to use a mix of mild detergent-free liquid and warm water. Here is the step by step breakdown:
- Mix warm water with a few drops of mild detergent-free dish soap in a bowl.
- Soak each piece of diamond jewelry individually into the liquid mix for 20-30 minutes.
- Now take a soft brush, this is crucial as a hard brush can potentially scratch the gold part of the jewelry. Dip the brush into the same liquid and scrub each piece of jewelry gently for a thorough cleaning.
- Once you’re done cleaning it, rince the diamond jewelry in warm water.
- Finally, dry the jewelry with a soft lint-free cloth. You could also use a blow dryer on a lower heat setting.
Something you can do more regularly to keep your diamond jewelry shiny and clean at all times is to use a soft, non-abrasive and lint-free cloth to clean it gently. We recommend using a chamois cloth such as this one.
When you need a deeper clean and don’t have time to go to the jewelers, an ultrasonic jewelry cleaning device is also an option. However, these devices should be handled with care as if they are misused can cause harm to your jewelry. In general, it is best to let professional jewelers use such devices as improper usage can cause the diamonds to become loose.
Storage and Care
Equally important is storing your fine jewelry the correct way to ensure that it doesn’t get scratched or accumulate dirt over time.
1. Store in a Cool and Dry Place
Fine jewelry needs to be kept away from excess heat and humidity. To maintain the brilliance of your diamond jewelry store them in a cool and dry place.
2. Protect Your Jewelry Against Scratches and Tangles
Store your jewelry in a soft and clean environment to avoid dirt and scratches. Diamonds are one of the hardest substances on earth. You should ideally store your jewelry pieces individually to make sure they don’t scratch against other gemstones or metals, preferably in your 64Facets pouches. If you want to store them in a jewelry box make sure it is lined with an ultra-soft fabric.
Remember to also hook your necklace to a part of the pouch to prevent tangling. Alternatively, you could hang your long and dainty necklaces in a sheltered cupboard.
What To Avoid
1. Using Abrasive Chemicals
Steer clear of harsh chemicals such as bleach, acetone or powdered detergent to clean your fine jewelry. Avoid wearing your diamond jewelry when cleaning dishes, bathing, gardening or doing housework for abrasive cleaners and chemicals found in certain products can damage the metals and gemstones.
2. Applying Lotions, Makeup and Perfume After Putting on Your Fine Jewelry
The chemicals found in perfume, hairspray, make-up, nail polish remover, sun-tan lotion, body oils and deodorant can also be harmful to your diamond jewelry - best to use these before putting your jewelry on when getting ready.
3. Excessive Physical Activity
It is best to avoid playing tactile sports for high pressure impacts on your diamond jewelry can loosen the setting. Another consequence of strenuous physical activity is excessive sweating. Sweating and dirt build up can over time dull the appearance of your diamond jewelry.